Saturday, February 26, 2005

a lesson I learned in class

Teaching english in a foreign context is very trying at times, as I suppose teachng anywhere is. After all, you have some students who are less motivated than others. You have varying degrees of language ability. And you have a lot of students afraid to make a mistake and "lose face". To an ambitious, extraverted, self-motivated learner like myself, I can't relate to these students sometimes. It requires a lot of patience at times. Sometimes I do a good job, and otehr times, I can see my impatience come out. Character is an importantthing in the class room, especially in China. They pay a lot of attention to the manner and effort of a teacher here. They judge your character on your work ethic, preparation, etc. Well, I have one kind of class that is very challenging and its the class that demands the most of my character-wise. A Chinese friend of ours is in one of my classes this semester. We've talked with here a lot about important things. When I saw her, I thought to myself, "Wow. I really have to have good character now." What!? I was quickly exposed and convicted. I had a good desire to be a good ma and a good teacher, but my motivation had been misguided. I should have desired and strived for Character regardless of who was watching. This was a good object lesson for me to look at my motivations. Why do I want to be the man I am and should be? Is it to be seen by others? (though being seen is not always bad). OR, is it because it is good in itself to be set apart in a way that's pleasing to our Dad? I hope the latter.