Friday, February 18, 2005

"When I Relax I Feel Guilty"

I have trouble relaxing. I always allow the things that need to be done overwhelm my day. Even when watching a movie I'm working on something or writing a letter, never allowing myself to fully enjoy the experience. There was a book titled "When I relax I feel Guilty" by Tim Hansel. I skimmed right passed it hoping Brad wouldn't see it was there. But alas he did and he pretty much packed it in our bags for me. It's a great book that reminds us of the mandate of rest. It sheds away the arrogance and shallow purpose of always working. These are a few questions it posed that really penetrated my perspective of how we are to live and enjoy not just our day but the Creator of it.

When was the last time you woke up rested? When was the last time you took a friend for an ice cream, or bought flowers just because it was Tuesday? When did you last laugh so hard you cried or were so excited about something that you couldn't describe it with words? Or do you insist on being one of those nice, dead people who continue to spend most of their time preparing to live? Do you even know what brings you the deepest joy? Are you convinced that if you stop working, the world will cave in?